One of the best things about living in Blackhawk, CA is that it’s impossible to get bored. The 9-square-mile former ranchland is one of today’s most desirable neighborhoods in the East Bay area. The residential area has numerous recreational activities to experience and destinations to explore. You can enjoy a round of golf in a championship course one day and marvel at spectacular views of the surrounding mountain terrain the next. Wondering where to start? Here are the top activities in and around Blackhawk:
Head to the best fitness, shopping, and recreational spots.
- Blackhawk Country Club– This esteemed sports and social club features state-of-the-art golf and fitness facilities. Hit the links at the Club’s two spectacular 18-hole, par 72 championship golf courses. Participate in the club’s exclusive golf tournaments, activities, and programs. Get your laps in at the Olympic-size swimming pool. You can also enjoy fun games of bocce ball, pickleball, and softball.
- Crunch Fitness Blackhawk – Get in the best shape of your life at Blackhawk’s signature Crunch Fitness location. From themed classes to Olympic lifting platforms, this is the top gym for an intense and enjoyable workout.
- Blackhawk Plaza – Also known as The Shops at Blackhawk, this is the premier retail, dining, and entertainment hub of this community because it has everything from exercise apparel shops to special events. The Plaza’s landscaped interior courtyard is also a great place to unwind or take a refreshing stroll.
- Draeger’s Market–Everyone’s go-to shop for gourmet food and wine products. Be sure to check out the sophisticated bakery, which offers mouth-watering cakes, pies, cookies, and fruit tarts.
Discover the arts, history, and culture scene.
- Blackhawk Auto Museum– Established in 1988, the Blackhawk Auto Museum was originally a warehouse for Kenneth Behring’s vintage car collection. Today, it is one of the most recognized car museums in the world, where visitors are welcome to view the outstanding collection of classic automobiles. This ±70,000-square-foot museum also features permanent exhibits on Native American history and culture, the American Frontier era, and African art. A gallery focusing on Chinese crafts is currently under construction.
- The Village Theatre and Art Gallery in Danville– Catch the latest movies, comedy shows, and theatrical productions at this historic playhouse, which is located in the heart of neighboring Danville. The Village Theatre opened in 1913 and continues to be one of the top performance venues near Blackhawk to this day. It also features amazing artworks with ±1,000 square feet of exhibition space, as well as a variety of classes and workshops on drama, music, voice, and the visual arts.
- Century Blackhawk Plaza–Hailed as Blackhawk’s premier movie theater, Century Blackhawk Plaza is the place to go to catch the latest blockbusters and award-winning films. The theater features spacious recliner seats that will keep you comfortable for hours.
Explore the outdoors.
- Mt. Diablo State Park– Located less an hour’s drive north of Blackhawk, this ±20,000-acre outdoor area is the best way to view and experience the magnificent Diablo Mountain Range. The impressive views from the mountain’s +3,849-foot peak are sure to wow you. You can even spot Yosemite National Park and San Francisco! The state park is accessible to hikers, cyclists, and equestrians.
- Sycamore Valley Open Space Preserve – Nestled between two major mountain ridges, this natural preserve showcases picturesque views of surrounding grasslands, rolling hills, and valleys. Visitors are welcome to hike, bike, or ride a horse along the area’s many trails. Outdoor adventures await just west of Blackhawk.
- Las Trampas Regional Wilderness– Explore more than ±5,300 acres of geological formations, woodland vegetation, and abundant wildlife. On foot or on horseback, Las Trampas provides a peaceful and private escape from the fast and busy pace of city life.
- Iron Horse Regional Trail– Spanning a total of 32 miles, this trail is a series of pathways that connect the cities of Concord, Pleasanton, San Ramon, downtown Alamo, and downtown Danville. Don’t let the name mislead you because the Iron Horse Regional Trail is for equestrians as well as hikers, and bikers.
Dine at the best restaurants.
- Blackhawk Pizzeria – Craving fresh pizza? Try the hand-spun, made-to-order creations from this beloved neighborhood pizzeria. Get your pizza as you like it. Choose from thin and thick crusts, customized, or a signature slice. You can try delicious calzones, pasta, and salads here, too.
- Blue Gingko Blackhawk– This neighborhood favorite offers the freshest, highest-quality menu, offering delectable varieties of sushi and other Japanese dishes. Dine outdoors and enjoy a relaxing view of the duck pond.
- Piatti – Located in the neighboring town of Danville, Piatti is a local Italian favorite that never disappoints because of its extensive farm-to-table Italian menu, curated wine list, excellent service, and rustic atmosphere. A must-visit dining spot!
There’s always something new to experience in Blackhawk and its surrounding areas. Learn more from our local experts at the Chawla Real Estate Team. Call 1.510.406.4836 or email JouJou(dotted)Chawla(at)ChawlaRealEstate(dotted)com to discover everything that this master-planned East Bay community has to offer.